How To Choose the Right Piano Brands?
The first two things you need to know when buying a piano are: what type of piano you are buying and how much money you are willing to spend.
But the most important thing when buying a piano is its brand. The quality and the durability of the piano completely depend on the brand. There are many piano brands that you may choose from.
Want to choose the best piano brand?
Before you continue to read this article, click here to see the article about piano types and sizes.
If you decided on the type of piano, now is time to decide which brand you want. There are many brands you may choose from. The best brands come from the USA, Europe, and Japan. The brands are:
The United States of America
- They are making pianos since the 1850s.
- Steinway makes about 2500 pianos a year.
- Baldwin started to manufacture pianos since the 1890s.
- Baldwin was the largest manufacturer of pianos.
- All Baldwin pianos are hand-crafted.
- The Baldwin P. Company was bought by Gibson Guitar Corporation in 2001.
Mason & Hamlin
- They were founded 1854.
- Mason & Hamlin builds only 250 pianos per year.
- Charles Walter is a relative newcomer which builds only about 65 pianos each year.
Germany and other parts of Europe
- Established in 1853 by Carl Bechstein.
- Bechstein was always in competition with Steinway & Sons, although the Bechstein sound is very different from Steinway’s.
- Founded by Julius Blüthner in 1853.
- By 1900 Blüthner had become the largest piano maker in Germany, producing some 5,000 instruments annually.
- Wilhelm Schimmel started his company in 1885.
- Schimmel is one of the few piano companies that remains family-owned.
Bosendorfer (from Austria)
Fazioli (from Italy)
Petrof/Weinbach (from Eastern Europe)
Estonia (from Eastern Europe)
- Established in 1887.
- Largest piano manufacturer in the world.
- Established in 1927.
- Second largest piano manufacturer in the world.
What is the best piano brand in your opinion? Put it in the comments below. And if you are interested in the top 5 piano brands, click here to read that article.